Monday, July 9, 2012

I'm so Bored that I turned into a robot

Pirate, ghost, hobo - I know I'm writing an awful lot of blog posts about metamorphosis.
I'm going to be a beautiful butterfly!
According to my 3-year-old cousin Gurgi, though, I have actually turned into a robot.
"Katie, why you getting a robot leg?"
The above quote is an actual question asked by my cousin, whose name is obviously not really Gurgi.

Gurgi and the rest of his family came to visit me in the hospital one day soon after my amputation. The rest of the family came in giving me hugs, excited to see me, though perhaps maybe not so excited that I was trying to become a pirate. 

Gurgi entered the room slowly and shyly, though, sadly asking, "Katie, why you getting a robot leg?"
Better question: Why I not getting a robot leg?
I didn't have a suitable answer, so he kept asking that question, paired occasionally with, "Why are they gonna cut off your leg?"
Surprise! They already did!
He was eventually calmed enough to sit on my bed, and I even convinced him to give me a hug. I had to bribe him a lot, though.
Luckily, someone had brought me 5 million jelly beans as a get-well present.
I gave him my stuffed Animal to play with, and he was content for a while.
Mine looks a lot better. I got him at Putt-Putt about 10 years ago, when I figured out how to win the jackpot machine every time...completely unrelated story.
So then, I handed him the stuffed ram which my Pastor had brought me (my grade school mascot was a ram).
This is not the actual stuffed animal, and the horns on this one are way too big, but you get the basic idea, right?
Gurgi took one look at this animal, grabbed it out of my hand, and squealed, 
Oooooh! A bunny rabbit!!
He hugged me goodbye that day, and so I thought the robot issue had been resolved.

Flash forward nearly a week, to the evening of the 4th of July. Gurgi was sitting in my lap at a fireworks display.
"That one looks like Batman!"
We had a wonderful time, and when we got in our cars to leave at the end of the night, I asked Gurgi for a hug. His response?
"I don't want to hug a robot!"

Oh, well. I had always thought robots were cool...





No comments:

Post a Comment