Tuesday, July 17, 2012

I'm so Bored that I just replaced Giorgio when he died

Over Thanksgiving break this past school year, I was carrying Giorgio across the wet bricks on High Land. I slipped, and we both crashed to the ground. Giorgio fell out of my arms and landed on the wet ground.
If this was your answer to yesterday's question, just quit the game now.
I didn't notice it then, but when I went to update this blog later, I realized that the plastic casing around his power button was broken.
If you knew Giorgio was a laptop, go forward 1 space. If you knew how his power button broke, go forward 2 spaces!
I kept planning on calling Dell and having them come fix his power button, but they said I would need to send him in for two weeks of work, so I never could find the time.
Remember this?
The casing around his power button continued to gradually crack throughout the rest of the school year, until the button was finally hanging from wires without any casing at all. 
Yes, I realize that looks more like a badly drawn rainbow than like electrical wires...
To turn Giorgio on, I had to pinch his button in just the right way. 

It took a lot of manual effort to power up Giorgio.

I started to feel like I was having to do way too much work just to turn him on.

Sorry, if you'd ever hung out with some of my friends, you'd understand.
You know who you are
Anyway, I finally secured the power button with some scotch tape, and that worked fine until one day a few weeks ago, when he just ... died.
Yes, this is what he looked like ... Stop judging my drawings!
I was devastated, but I was sure that Dell would just take him away, revive and fix him, then send him back to me alive and well.
And we would frolic through flowery meadows together once more.
Instead, they informed me that they no longer made parts for my machine.
I'm sorry. You're two years old. You and your blankie are now obsolete.
Since my warranty guarantees that they have to maintain my computer in good health for all four years of college, even if I were to take it cliff diving, Dell offered me a replacement computer instead.
The Dell XPS 15Z, or as I call him, Gummi Pulpo
I asked for specs (or my sister did, because I'm not good at all this computer haggling business), and they responded with a long list of why this computer was absolutely awesome - a terabyte hard-drive, a 64-bit processor, more memory than Giorgio ever had. 

The computer on which I'm currently writing this blog post has a 15-inch screen, 1 inch larger than Giorgio's, but it is much lighter than Giorgio ever was, and its design is so much more intelligent - no power button on the side, for starters.

I told Dell it would suffice.
I am in mourning after all.* 


While Giorgio is replaceable, children suffering from childhood cancer are not. Find out how you can help save lives by visiting www.stjude.org. Repost this message in memory of all victims of cancer.



No comments:

Post a Comment