Saturday, November 3, 2012

I'm so Bored that I gave a talk

If you've known me for a few years, you probably think I'm really outgoing.

If you've known me for a really long time, though, you might just remember that I used to be a pretty shy kid, at least in large groups.

Of course, this may have just been because I was scared of pretty much everything.
I called something that looked like this "Scary Man" for years...
Whatever the reason, I did not like giving speeches when I was little, or even talking to strangers in general, including Santa Claus. 

What kind of "jolly old saint" watches children all day and night?
When I was diagnosed with cancer, that did not magically cure my fear of social interactions.

I once agreed to be interviewed for a radiothon but then sat in the room the entire time (about an hour, I think) and didn't say anything, not even "No, I don't want to say anything."
Think about that for a second. I refused to speak.
Luckily, I went to summer camp, and over the next few years, I completely lost all sense of what "social awkwardness" even means.
Absolutely all sense
The good news is that for years now I have been able to speak in public without feeling like my heart's going to pound out of my chest, and last night, I went to my first ever Relay for Life and gave the Survivor's talk.

People asked me for my story, and words actually came out of my mouth. 9-year-old me would be super impressed.

But that was the same girl who thought one of these would make a great pet, so I wouldn't trust her judgment too much...
 Bored Game time!

Answer: OWLS!!! If you knew this, you're a creeper, but you may move forward one space. 

Question: Where will I be next semester?

No comments:

Post a Comment