Friday, April 12, 2013

I'm so Bored that I eavedropped in the Vatican

For Easter vacation, I spent 2 weeks traveling around Italy and France. My first full day in Rome, though, was spent almost entirely outside of Rome, because I spent it inside the Vatican.

Of course, the artwork and artifacts in the Vatican museums are amazing, as is the architecture.
I mean, just look at that majestic beast
But what I really enjoyed inside the Vatican were all the conversations I overheard:

1. Map gallery freak out

I walked into the Gallery of Maps behind a young boy (maybe 7 at the most?) and his mom.
I mean, I agree, the maps were impressive
When he realized he was surrounded by maps, the kid just stopped and said "Ok, this is making me freak out."

2. Where is the Sistine Chapel, really?

I seriously heard a college-age girl tell her friend, "They told us about the Sistine Chapel when we were in D.C., so I thought it was in D.C."

I did not take this photo because I am a good person

Really? They told us about the Atlantic Ocean in geography class. I really expected the room to flood right then.

3. Religious Confusion

I was standing in the Ancient Egypt exhibit, staring at this beautiful shrowd:
This shroud is not connected to this story
when I heard a girl next to me say to her friend, "But we don't believe Jesus actually rose from the dead, right? Like, he was just a man."

I only hope she wasn't Catholic.

Bored Game Time!

Answer: Cardinal Jose Bergoglio. Move forward one space if you knew, move back 2 if you didn't.

Question:  What is the name commonly given to the person depicted on the shroud above?

No comments:

Post a Comment