Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I'm so Bored that I let organic chemistry eat my brain

So, when I got to college, I had this idea that I would get straight A's, be absolutely amazing at EVERYTHING, go to med school, and cure cancer.

First day of freshman year, I met a horrendous monster named Chemistry.  Chemistry speaks a language I don't understand, and spent all last year trying to eat me alive. I almost gave up med school altogether.  In fact, I tried to leave college at one point, but I couldn't reach the top shelf of my closet to get my suitcase down.


"Can you come get my suitcase out of the top of my closet for me?" - real text message sent by me to a tall person


This is why I couldn't reach the top shelf...definitely wasn't because I'm too short...



I prevailed though, sorta, and by the end of freshman year, I had passed general chemistry. I decided to stick with pre-med, because I frankly am bad at coming up with new plans.

The organic molecules are struggling through it...why shouldn't I?


So, this year, I enrolled in organic chemistry.  This class instantly started its attack on me, with weapons including an absent professor, complicated molecules, and mechanisms (scientists' bizarre unprovable guesses about how reactions work - I have to memorize all of them...)

"I react by grabbing other molecules with my tongue!"


I tried to resist.  I tried to be strong.  I had conquered inorganic chemistry; I could conquer organic chemistry. THIS MONSTER WOULD NOT DEFEAT ME. As the months went by, though, I realized that organic chemistry is not a monster - it is a majestic beast. It makes so much sense...totally.

Sooooo much sense

I mean, where else can I draw stick figure aliens and get a grade for how much the aliens look like the professor's alien drawings?

Wait. What do you mean, that's not what organic chemistry is? Well, in that case...


I still think I'm right...

3 comments:

  1. Aww, it's not that terrible, is it? You can defeat the wily orgo monstrosities, you just have to learn to memorize all the strange intricacies of their language!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been cramming chemistry for the past few days because my a levels are this year and my foundation in chemistry is, pretty much non-existent. And i was so bored of cramming that I actually googled "i'm so bored of chemistry". Chemistry really is the bane of my existence :'(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand completely. I hope my blog eased your Boredom just a little. Thanks for reading, and good luck with chemistry!

    ReplyDelete