Tuesday, June 4, 2013

I'm so Bored that I treated people like human beings

Ok, so that title sounded a bit harsh, I admit. But seriously, I've come to the conclusion that a lot of people need a guide on how to treat people with disabilities like human beings. (And I'm not even going into the pointless nature of the word "disabilities" right now). 

I know...it would help you see me as a human being if I didn't draw myself like this.
1. Conversations start with hello.

If I don't you, my life history is none of your business. 

It is NOT OK to walk up to a stranger and say, "What happened?"

So say it with me now, all together.
2. I probably don't need help. 

I may look unsteady on my feet. I may look clumsy. But I know what I'm doing, even if it's different than how you would do something.

Unless I am obviously in immediate danger or I explicitly ask for your help, I don't need your help.

In a lot of situations, even asking if I need help is creepy.

He needs help, not me.
3. There is not a secret disabilities club.

I mean, there are groups and organizations. But I don't automatically know every person with a physical disability (or with any other kind of disability).

No, I will not instantly bond with your friend because they use crutches or a wheelchair.

No, we don't already know each other through some secret network.
This picture has nothing to do with this point. I just haven't used it in this post yet.
4. I am not a child.

Some people with disabilities are children. And you can therefore treat them like children.  But personally, I am 21 years old. I do not need your patronizing protection. I do not need you to cover my ears to "protect my innocence."

And if you think I'm innocent simply because I have a disability, my response, in true Southern style, is just, "Aww, sweetie."

Please, just grow up already.
5. I am not stupid. 

If you tell me, "It must have been so hard for you to get into a top 20 university with a disability," I start to wonder how you got into the same university as me.

Believe it or not, I coasted through high school. I got into a top 20 university because I was valedictorian and scored a 35 on the ACT. My disabilities had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Making assumptions about people's intelligence is ignorant and idiotic. Don't do it.
This man has accomplished something. Go be amazed at what he did instead.
I could keep going, but I feel like people stop reading after number five on how-to lists.

Bored Game Time!

Answer: Hemingway. Move back 2 spaces if you're boring enough to know what Hemingway looks like.

Question: What book am I currently in the middle of reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment