Tuesday, February 5, 2013

I'm so Bored that I got my pictures developed (kinda)

Ahem, hola, Blogosphere! I really thought I'd have uploaded tons of pictures and exciting stories by now, but my camera battery is in the mail currently and my "exciting" stories are mostly about how I tried a new type of cheese or I actually woke up early enough to eat breakfast and catch the bus.
I actually have not seen a Palma bus map yet.
This past Saturday, however, I was Bored and I had the day to myself, so I walked down the street to the train station and hopped on the train to Sóller.
It's like an adorable, old-fashioned trolley!

Since Palma has basically been annexed by the Germans as a vacation/retirement resort, I was the only person on the train who spoke Spanish as opposed to German.
I was apparently also the only person who was not in a serious, PDA-full relationship
The ride was gorgeous, but as I didn't have my camera, I resorted to writing my feelings about the landscape.

No, you may not see that writing.

When we got to Sóller, I immediately noticed that the local tobacco store sold cheap disposable cameras, and I figured this was the perfect solution for the day.
Nothing could possibly go wrong!
Anyway, I wandered around the little town taking pictures and so on. I won't go into the long story of how I realized my debit card didn't work and spent loads of money on international calls with my mom to fix it...

When I got home, I figured that I could go develop my photos and then I could spend Sunday scrapbooking.


I know y'all are seriously doubting my skills at both photography and scrapbooking...stop judging me!
I asked somebody in a shop on the way home where I could get my pictures developed, and they told me the best place would be El Corte Inglés.
It's like a combination of every store you've ever seen...in one store

I checked their website, and it said they were open on Sunday, so I decided to wait til then.

Of course, when I actually walked all the way there on Sunday, they were closed. I kinda just stood around looking stupid for a while before walking back to my apartment.

On Monday, determined to scrapbook, I set out on a major shopping excursion.
And the path I took looked about like this...
First, I went to a schools supplies store on the street next to mine.
Which is funny since the study abroad advisers told us we couldn't buy that stuff here

I got myself a whole lot of glue, some scissors, and a box cutter to complete my scrapbooking set.

My next stop was an electronics store, where I probably paid way too much for a radio alarm clock.
Spanish vocab time: Despertador

Then I walked a far distance away to a store I had noticed a couple days before that advertised photo developing (revelar fotos) in the window.
Turns out they only "develop" digital pictures, which isn't really "developing" them at all

So, I turned around and walked all the way to El Corte Inglés.

Once inside, it took me asking multiple people and waiting a really long time for an elevator to the 5th floor to find the photography counter.

The lady behind the counter originally told me 1 day, but when she saw my disposable cameras, she said 1 week.
Why do they even sell these if they're so obsolete?!

So, after I added more money to my cellphone at the Vodafone counter, I ended my 2-hour journey by walking home taking the bus home and almost getting run over by it after I got off.

Anyway...

Bored Game Time!

Answer: 7. If you knew that, move forward 7 spaces, just for funsies. If you guessed a different number, move back that number of spaces.

Question: What is "elevator" in Spanish?


No comments:

Post a Comment