Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I'm so Bored that I stayed up until 5:30...and then slept til 12:30

No, I didn't have any reason to stay up so late. Everytime I go to bed at 5 or 6, people mistakenly assume that I must have wanted to get some homework done, or perhaps that I was suddenly inspired and had to write for hours. What no one (excepting those crazy people who stay awake with me, of course) usually guesses is that I stay awake because I am too Bored to sleep. So, instead of sleeping, I chat with other insomniacs on facebook, watch TV on Netflix (currently on season 4 of Numb3rs!), and drink caffeinated, sugary beverages (not to stay awake, just because they're my favorite type of drink). I never intend to stay up til 5. I start off thinking, "I will watch this one last episode, tell my friends good night, and go to sleep at midnight." Slowly, though, over the course of a few hours during which I am unable to shut down the computer, the realization dawns on me that this is one of those nights. I won't say all-nighter, because my sister insists that if you go to sleep afterwards, no matter what the time, then you have not pulled a proper all-nighter. I would argue with her, but my ex-boyfriend always insisted that if you left somewhere at 4 or 5 am (or really any time) and then went to sleep in your own bed, you had not spent the night. Apparently, I am the only person who thinks that the word "night" does not aptly apply to the late morning and early afternoon. Anyway, to get back to my point, the realization dawns on me that this is one of those glorious nights, a night in which I shall stay awake and revel in my awakeness. Yes, staying up late is truly glorious, even exciting, although the activities I described may sound mundane to those people awake in the daytime hours. You see, everything becomes infinitely more interesting, more exciting, and more amusing between 2 and 5 am. Jokes that would make absolutely no sense at 3 in the afternoon send me into rioutous bouts of laughter at 3 in the morning. A quest for the perfect name to call day clothes, since night clothes have their own name, seems like an important, serious manner, and the pronouncement that day clothes should be called majamas (so that all clothes will be Ma & Pa Jamas) suddenly sounds like the type of joke that should earn me a hosting gig at a comedy talk show (when really, letting me do standup would be an extremely BAD idea). Fortunately for everyone reading this, I will never again post a blog during one of my "not an all-nighter"s. The first blog I ever tried to write was started at 4:30 am in my dorm room. Most of my friends, including my roommate, were gone for the weekend, so there was no one around to stop me from writing the most embarrassing blog post in history.  Of course, my friends showed up in time to read it out loud to each other in my room, but that blog post was soon deleted and (fingers crossed) forgotten. I think it may have something to do with the way sleep deprivation affects the frontal lobe, but no matter the reason, even when it produces an embarrassing story for later, whenever I'm Bored, being late-night drunk (my friends and my term for the way we act after midnight) seems a drastically more magnificent option than sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment