Friday, December 23, 2011

I'm so Bored that I baked cookies

It's CHRISTMAS EVE!

Do you know what that means?

Jesus, you say? Yes, Him too ... but mostly, COOKIES!***

Today (Actually yesterday, technically, but I haven't been to sleep yet) I have made:

Snickerdoodles

Sour cream cookies

Sugar cookies (which I made the dough for yesterday [or two days ago, really ... you know what I mean!])

AND

Ginger bread cookie dough (although it might taste a little odd, seeing as we didn't have enough molasses, so I substituted some golden syrup and some dark corn syrup for over half of the molasses [which will probably taste doubly weird, because the dark corn syrup was supposed to be dark cane syrup...])

So far, all of these taste scrumptious! (I haven't tasted the ginger bread, and frankly I don't intend to do so, since ginger is NASTY!)

However, yesterday (by which I mean Thursday), I had adventures in Bakeland, because I used the wrong snickerdoodle recipe.

For those of you who don't know, snickerdoodles are a favorite Christmas treat in Boredom. They are made by rolling a scrumptious (I like that word!) dough into balls, which are then rolled in a cinnamon sugar mixture.

SNICKERDOODLES...YUMMMMMY
Sometimes, I like to also put colored sugar on them, to make them Christmas-y and festive.

Anyway, there is a book with an awesome snickerdoodle recipe in it. If you use this recipe, you get delicious snickerdoodles. If you use this book and roll some of the cookies in cinnamon sugar and then roll one in just sugar, my mom will ask you, "Is that the albino snickerdoodle?" We used this book today (yesterday).

This is the RIGHT book for Snickerdoodles
However, there is some old cookies and sweets cookbook in my kitchen (I'm not going to check the name of the book right now) which has a thoroughly bizarre recipe for "snickerdoodles." This recipe has way too high a ratio of liquids to solids, such as flour.  It also uses MILK. Hint #1: If the recipe calls for milk, it is not a snickerdoodle recipe...

So, yesterday (Thursday), my little brothers and I mixed up this "snickerdoodle recipe," and it came out looking like a cross between thick cake batter and frosting. I wish I'd gotten a picture of it. Anyway, I resisted the urge to pour it into a cake pan and bake it into a snickerdoodle cake. (By the way, snickerdoodle cake is real and delicious - check out the recipe in the Cake Mix Doctor [But if you're following my blog, you already know this...])

Instead, I mixed in more flour and a little more sugar. The resulting dough was rather sticky, but was at least manageable as dough. I rolled it into balls, which I then rolled in cinnamon sugar and colored sugar (still believing that I was making snickerdoodles), and baked.

The result was a cookie which looked like a snickerdoodle. It smelled like a snickerdoodle. It felt like a snickerdoodle. I suppose it even sounded like a snickerdoodle.

This imposter cookie, however, did not taste like a snickerdoodle.

As such, we have dubbed the cookies Katiedoodles*. They were really quite good, although they were not what we were expecting to bake.

Unfortunately, they are now an endangered species of cookie. There is only one left, and it is wrapped up and hidden, awaiting a visit from my Lovaaah.

If you would like to try one, however, I could always attempt to recreate them.

So, the moral of the story is: The best things in life, be they Messiahs or cookies, often appear in rather unexpected ways.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

*The name Katiedoodle is not meant to refer to a cookie that contains Katie, as Katie is alive and well. It is merely meant to reflect Katie's** ownership of the recipe, as opposed to Snicker's ownership of his recipe. 


**The name Katie is not meant to refer to me as if it were my actual name, but is used only because Katiedoodle seems a far more delightful name for a cookie than  Boreddoodle. I am Bored, and any connection to the name Katie is purely coincidental. 


***Actually, mostly Jesus, in case you were confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment